Teams on Mobile
Platform: Android & iPhone
Role: Product Design
Teams on Mobile was a major UI/UX overhaul of the Yammer mobile experience. Yammer is a social platform for enterprise, and our goal was to rethink the way users move through the product, putting greater emphasis on the idea that communication should be facilitated through teams.
During this project we collaborated with a larger product team, from initial user research and interactive prototypes to high fidelity mocks.
Setting Up the Problem
This project was completely rethinking the current user engagement models. Because of this, it was important to work closely with the User Research Team from the very beginning. We wanted to make sure we thoroughly understood current user behavior on mobile before jumping into solutions. To do this, we combined information from qualitative interviews and data from our analytics team to create five major Yammer personas. We used these personas to help inform our approach to design.
Prototyping, Prototyping and More Prototyping
We started by focusing on various user flows. Early in the design process, we like to keep iterations quick and simple and avoid jumping into pixels right away. To do this, we stay in the 'paper and whiteboard' phase, working collectively with PM's, engineers and User Researchers to hash out what could work and what definitely won't work.
It's All About Interactive, Baby
Once we fleshed out a few different strategies, we started to prototype. We created six different interactive prototypes using Proto.io. Although there are loads of different prototyping tools to choose from, we're a big fan of Proto.io. It allows you to work quickly without getting too bogged down in visuals. And the best part is being able to bring in users and have them actually test out specific flows. We very quickly learned where our assumptions proved false as well as what was working and what wasn't.
Sketching out the UI
Once we'd tested out several quick rounds of interactive prototypes, we narrowed down on the UX. At this point the engineers started to take a more active role in the project, and we broke out of our 'war rooms' and began sitting with cross functional teams. While the dev teamed worked out a lot of the backend work, we raced ahead to tackle the UI.
In the end, we created a streamlined user experience that focused on delivering more relevant posts. Emphasis was placed on presenting information in relation to its group. This strategy was intended to increase the rate of group creation and over all user engagement.
We're proud to say that the Android version has been released recently to all users and is now in the testing phase. Based on pending feedback we will create Teams on Mobile V2 and the great wheel that is software development will keep on turning.